Theme Song Throwback Thursday:) Memories

6 Apr

“A mother’s happiness is like a beacon, lighting up the future but reflected also on the past in the guise of fond memories.”

~Honore de Balzac

***************

I’ve been going through a tangled jumbled heap of costume jewelry that belonged to my sweet mother. I touched and reminisced and sorted through dozens and dozens of sentimental pieces, many of which were gifts from me, family and friends. But, when I was packing up the plastic container with all the neat compartments, the box slipped off the bed onto the floor. So I just heaped the piled into a large zip lock bag, and put it in my carry-on bag when I flew home. Needless to say, security went through my bag and even had to separately rescan the jewelry a second time.

I was still in the process of de-tangling today, when I came across a very special locket.

Memories came flooding back. Memories of babies and families and special gifts and unconditional love. That huge pile of costume jewelry is probably only worth a few dollars monetarily, but the memories are priceless.

When I get nostalgic, I write poetry and I sing songs and I get misty. That’s what I do.

MEMORIES

A tiny silver locket

A picture tucked inside

It was given on her birthday

She showed it off with pride.

A picture of her grandsons

On the back, her favorite part

The inscription said, I love you

And was worn next to her heart.

So, now I have her locket

Those memories will not fade

I’ll place Mom’s picture next to theirs

New memories to be made.

~ Toni Armenta Andrukaitis

**************************

7 Responses to “Theme Song Throwback Thursday:) Memories”

1. Vicky Hodi April 6, 2018 at 6:48 pm #

What a beautiful poem Toni and also beautiful momeries 😢

• toniandrukaitis April 7, 2018 at 12:37 am #

Thank you, Vicky. Inspiration comes easily when it comes to my sweet mom.

2. Bonita April 7, 2018 at 4:36 pm #

Wonderful memories tears or laughter makes u momma smile…

• toniandrukaitis April 7, 2018 at 4:59 pm #

Thank you, my friend. Hey, miss your smiling face. We need a lunch date.

3. paulettemotzko April 9, 2018 at 6:00 am #

You made my eyes well up with tears with this one, buy I can relate to your words. We share many common bonds and I know you are going to inspire me to write something about the two of us and how our lives parallel in so many ways.

• toniandrukaitis April 11, 2018 at 3:14 am #

You are so sweet Miss Paulette. I would love to hear about our parallel lives.

• paulettemotzko April 11, 2018 at 3:40 am #

And I would love to tell you sometime soon.