Saturday Satire: A Bird in the Hand and Other True Stories

6 Jul

We have a couple of hanging flower baskets in the backyard. Every time I would water one of the plants, a bird would fly out and the dogs would bark and go nuts. Then, one morning, after the bird flew off, I heard little chirping noises. When I tilted the basket, I saw two tiny beaks chirping for their momma. I didn’t want to scare the occupants of the nest, so I just took my camera and aimed randomly inside for the video. What a smart mamma bird. A hanging haven filled with beautiful flowers to safely shelter her young. Unfortunately, the flowers are now dying because this momma is afraid of drowning or harming the babies, but that’s OK. We mothers have to stick together.

The safety of the baby birds made me think of one of my watercolors that I painted a while back. The satire or irony of the painting, in my artistic depiction is, the dove is clutched in a hand. The hand is making a peace sign. Is the bird safe, or going to be crushed all in the name of peace? Or is the dove, a symbol of peace safe and protected? It’s all in the eye of the beholder. Thought I’d share, you decide. Let me know what YOU think.

20130706-175342.jpg
A BIRD IN THE HAND

Don’t let it be said
When shove comes to push
That a bird in the hand
Is worth two in the bush.
A bird is not free
If he cannot fly
There clutched in your palm
A free bird will die.
Toni Andrukaitis

20130706-181557.jpg

7 Responses to “Saturday Satire: A Bird in the Hand and Other True Stories”

1. Dan Hennessy July 7, 2013 at 4:02 am #

I think the peace dove and the peace sign go , so to speak , hand in hand . Expressive piece of art . I am in awe .

• toniandrukaitis July 7, 2013 at 3:38 pm #

Thanks Dan. I have literally hundreds of paintings and poems scattered around the house. I’m glad I have a place to share them now.

2. Jan Rog July 7, 2013 at 8:56 am #

The hand is protecting the dove, and the peace sign is of openness rather than closed anger. Why do I say it? I looked over and again and came back to the bright colors which frame the hand. Though not precise (as if life could be precise) the colors are vibrant and rich. Setting a tone of optimism, they surround the hand.

• toniandrukaitis July 7, 2013 at 4:03 pm #

Wow, Jan. are you an art critic for MOMA? Your words are most kind and profound. Thanks you.

3. Yoshiko July 7, 2013 at 11:01 am #

Nice 🙂 The bird seems very small

• toniandrukaitis July 7, 2013 at 3:39 pm #

Thanks. She is a small bird, but safe for now.

• Yoshiko July 9, 2013 at 9:02 am #